Are you having any difficulties in locking your external hard disk with password? If so this article will enlighten you more on how to lock External hard disk with a password. Like we all know External Hard disks are very useful due to their portability. You can easily carry it anywhere because it is portable. The external hard drives are used for swapping large amounts of data between work computers. This is because USB transfer is faster and easier than using the internet for transferring files.
The aim for this article is to enlighten you on how to lock your external hard disk with Password because if its in default mode any computer that it is plugged into can easily access your data on the external hard disk. So if your external hard disk stores important data you should be encrypted and password protect the disk. Kindly follow the below steps on how you can easily lock your external hard disk with Password.
How to lock external hard disk with password without software
- Firstly, you have to download and install an encryption program like AxCrypt or StorageCrypt, TrueCrypt etc. These encryption programs help you to encrypt your entire portable device, create hidden volumes and to create a password necessary to access it. You can click HERE to download the program from a trusted source.
- After downloading and installing the encryption program on your device. Plug in your external hard drive to your computer and wait for your computer to detect it. When your computer has detected it move all the files you want to save from your external hard drive onto your computer.
- The third step is to start your encryption program and choose the option to create a new volume. Note that each encryption program will show you a list of all devices that are connected to your computer.
- Kindly choose the drive that corresponds with your external hard drive and Select the password you want to use. But make sure it’s something you will not forget because when you forget it you’ll not have access to the external hard disk anymore.
- Choose the drive letter you want to mount your external hard disk. You have the access to choose any available letter.
- Lastly, Enter your password again to access your drive. After that, you can now then move all your files back.
- Having got all the steps done, you can now access your external hard disk normally with the letter you select on any computer after typing the password you choose.
How to password protect external hard disk mac
- Open your Finder window and locate your open your external hard disk.
- The second step is to Select Encrypt external from the drop-down menu.
- The next step is for you to create your preferred password and type your hint, in case you forget your password. Note that the hint is mandatory, it is just for throwing people off.
- With the above steps, you have successfully password protect your external hard disk on mac.
NOTE: You can also use the below method if you don’t want to use the above method. There are several methods that you can use to password protect your external hard disk mac.
- Open the disk utility tool and select the external drive button.
- Simply click on the erase key but have it in mind that any data on the drive will be deleted.
- Click on the format option and select the Mac OS extended(journaled, encrypted) option.
- In this section enter your new password and the hint and click on the choose button.