How to Use iPhone as a Webcam. These days, a good webcam is really hard to find. And even if there are any around, I’m very sure that the prices would have increased.
As the coronavirus pandemic has really moved so much of America’s workforce into a work-from-home environment.
So, now its no doubt that the webcam will be a bit pricier due to the fact that so many people are seriously in need of basic tech supplies.
But that’s nothing to worry about. Do you know you can actually use your iPhone and Android phone as a webcam?
Yes, you can. Keep reading to see how to use iPhone as a webcam. Android is not left out too
How to Use iPhone as a Webcam
Carefully follow the steps below to see how to use iPhone as a webcam:
- Firstly, you will have to download and install EpocCamfrom the Apple App Store.
- After that, a set of desktop drivers for EpocCam is available for both macOS and Windows 10. Now, go to “www.elgato.com” to download the necessary drivers for your machine.
- Now that you have installed the desktop drivers, you do not have to bother yourself with opening up an app on your computer. All you need to do is to ensure that your iOS device and your computer as well are on the same Wi-Fi or LAN.
- Now open the mobile app, and then launch your videoconferencing app on your computer.
- Search for the “EpocCam” app in the camera settings. Once you click on it, you will notice a notification appear on your computer confirming that the camera is connected through Wi-Fi.
Moreover, there are a few troubleshooting steps that you should take if things are not working fine from the beginning.
If you are making use of a browser-based videoconferencing app instead of a separate computer app, then you should ensure that you give the browser permission to have access to your webcam.
You should receive a notification asking for permission prior to launching the conference call or app. Just find that close to the web address bar.
How to Use iPhone as a Webcam – Pros and Cons of EpocCam
- The EpocCam works both on Windows and macOS.
- It does not require any desktop client. It needs just drivers.
- It also works wirelessly and it is very easy to set up.
- It is limited to iOS phones.
- It does not operate if you click out of the mobile app.
- The free version is heavily restrictive.
How to Use Android as a Webcam
Here is how to use Android as a Webcam:
- Firstly, you will have to download DroidCam Wireless Webcam on your Android phone. You can download it from the Google Play Store.
- The next step is to download and install the “DroidCam client” on your PC.
- Ensure that both the android phone and the computer are on the same Wi-Fi network.
- Now open the Android app and take note of the Wifi IP that is being listed on the main screen.
- Then open the Windows client and paste the IP on the computer.
- If your internet connection is slow, you can pick “Low” from the “Video Quality” drop-down menu.
- Now, click “Start”.
- You will now notice the video from your phone on the DroidCam Windows app. It still works fine even if your phone is locked. The only thing is that the video stutters.
- For good performance, we advise that you ensure the Android app is open. And also, put off auto-lock on your Android phone.
- The next thing to do is to restart Skype if it is open. Then choose “DroidCam Source 1” as the webcam.
- You can now enjoy using your Android phone as a webcam!
Advantages and Disadvantages of Droidcam
Here are the Pros and Cons of Droidcam:
- It works with both android and iOS.
- It is free to start and capable at no cost.
- Droidcam lets you use either front-facing or rear-facing cameras.
- It has got no watermarks.
- In all, you can choose to minimize the app even while you are still making use of the webcam.
- However, the disadvantage Droidcam has is that it has got no support for macOS, unlike EpocCam which has.