Filezilla is a free software that is used for transferring files to hosting server/Internet. It is an open source software that allows users to transfer files from a local computer to a remote computer. It is a popular FTP client and is mostly used by webmasters from all over the universe.
It’s available as Filezilla client version and a server version. FileZilla is capable of running on some operating systems like Windows, Linux, and macOS X. It also supports FTP, SFTP, and FTPS protocols. FileZilla is a good tool that is used to transfer files because it makes sharing of files easier, reliable, secure and efficient.
The main objective of the software is to make it easier for users to upload and download files from their web hosting server. With the software, users can also edit the files and save changes without manually uploading and downloading. In this article, some of the features of the platform will be mention, so stick with us to know more.
What are Filezilla client and Filezilla server
Filezilla client: This is an application that gives a user access to connect to an FTP server. Users also have the ability to use the client to connect to any number of FTP server. Filezilla clients allow users to download or upload files and lots more. The client allows the end user to connect to the Filezilla server and gives it an easy interface to transfer files from the Filezilla server. Although, for a user to use this a user must know the FZ servers IP address and port on which it is running.
Filezilla server: While Filezilla server, on the other hand, is an application that acts as an FTP server. Users use an FTP client to connect to a FileZilla Server, this gives users access to download and upload files. The servers only allow connection in, so you have deprived the privilege to use the Server to connect to other servers. The server is not a web server it is a file transfer protocol server(FTP).
How to use Filezilla
As long as you have a website or web application, you sure will need FileZilla to ease out transfer of files. To use this software, there are three methods involved.
First method – installing and starting the software
- Open your browser and visit the official download page for the software HERE.
- Run the installation process that is the official screening before the download process will commence.
- The next step is to open the software after the installation. In this section, the program will be available on your start menu with a short welcome display.
Second method – connecting to a server
- Start your downloaded program and enter all your needed details in the quick connect bar. Basically your Host, Username, Password, and port
- When you are done with the provision of your information, click on the quick connect button to start the process.
- The last step is to add the program to your site manager because quick connect settings are removed each time the program restart.
The third method – downloading and uploading a file
- To upload a file, the first process is to browse the file you intend to upload.
- Browse the location of the file and copy the file you want to upload.
- Simply drag the files from the left pane to their destination in the right pane so that the upload process will start.
- Launch your web browser and visit the official download portal or simply click HERE to visit.
- On the official platform click on the download button and select the type of OS (Operating system) that is suitable for you.
- Accept the terms and condition of the site and provide your details.
- Once done, the download process should begin immediately. Quickly install it on your device to start using the program.