Over the years, a lot of people have tried to turn Facebook into a dating app by hitting on folks in photo comments, sending unsolicited nude photos through Messenger, and generally stalking people’s pages.
Maybe that gave Facebook a hint to create an in-app dating feature – Facebook Dating. Want to know how to get started with this new Facebook feature? Here’s what you need to know.
Facebook Dating is a means for Facebook users to find meaningful relationships through things they have in common (similar groups and interests). It is not a separate app, it’s built directly into the main Facebook app. You don’t need to download another dating app to be able to access it. It’s free and doesn’t include any advertising.
Visually, Facebook Dating is similar to Hinge, which in its initial version, suggests matches from user’s mutual Facebook friends. While functionally, the app is also similar to Hinge – you scroll through profiles, send like, send a message, and see people who have already liked you.
Features of Facebook Dating
Naturally, you may be skeptical of dating service. After all, finding a partner is personal, even if online, that’s why the dating service has these features:
- You can report or block anyone
- You can prohibit people from sending you photos, messages, videos, etc.
- Add your Instagram posts to your profile in Facebook Dating
- It allows you to opt into “Events” and “Groups” to see people with similar interests. Although, you will also be visible to them.
- You can share details of a date with your live location – through a friend on Facebook Messenger, to make you feel safe on a date
This feature is available in some countries, which includes the US, Bolivia, Argentina, Canada, Brazil, Colombia, Chile, Guyana, Ecuador, Mexico, Malaysia, Laos, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Suriname, Singapore, Uruguay, Thailand, and Vietnam.
How Does Facebook Dating Work?
To be able to access this feature, here are a few steps to take:
Set up your Dating profile
To create a dating profile, you’ll have to update the Facebook app to ensure you are running the latest version of the app. Facebook Dating will appear in a new tab located in the main menu of the Facebook app. Click on it to opt into the dating service and create a dating profile, which is separate from your main profile.
You will fill in personal details bout yourself, like height, religion, education and degree, job, whether you have kids, etc. Facebook may also suggest photos and information from your main profile, which you can edit or remove when creating a dating profile.
Note: you must be 18 years or older to be able to access it.
Finding a Match
During setup, you will be asked to specify your gender and the genders of the people you are interested in matching with on the service. Moreover, you’ll see inclusive gender options like cis man, cis woman, trans man, trans woman, and non-binary person. You can select whether you’re interested in everyone, women, men, etc.
However, you will be suggested to others who’ve opted in to the dating service, and people will be suggested to you.
Note: This information won’t be shared with potential matches.
Contacting a Match
If you are interested in someone, you can comment directly on their dating profile or tap on the Like button. If you are not interested, you can pass. All your activities will stay on Facebook Dating and won’t be shared with Facebook.
Dating site Free Apps
To access a dating app on Facebook, you;
- Open the Facebook app
- Search for Singles Dating
- Above the search results, select Apps
- To use any of the apps, click on Use Now
Dating Groups / Facebook Singles Dating Sites
- Go to the Facebook app.
- On the search bar, type in and search for Facebook Dating Groups.
- You will be given a list of dating groups for singles.
- You will have to become a member before getting started. To do this, select a group and click on “Join”
- You will have to wait for some time for your request to be accepted. Once you are approved, you can access
- the group and find other singles.
Secret Crush List
Secret crush enables you to match with people you already know on Facebook and Instagram. You will select up to nine of your FB friends or Instagram followers to add as a secret crush.
Meanwhile, those people you add will get a notification saying someone has a crush on them. If your crush adds you to their secret crush list too, it’s a match. However, if your crush isn’t on Facebook Dating, Doesn’t add you on their list, or doesn’t create a Secret Crush list, they won’t know a thing.
Facebook Dating not Available
If you can’t access this feature, or it’s not available in your Facebook app, it’s either:
- You are not up to 18 years
- The feature is not yet available in your country.