Apple Map is an Apple Inc app. It is the default map app on all iOS devices. It offers directions and travel time estimates for various form of transports such as automobile, pedestrian, and public transportation.
Apple map was released on September 19, 2012, and was used to replace Google Maps as the default map service.
Features of Apple Map
Apple Map has a vector graphics which allows its users to save data. The map also has a regular map, satellite view, a hybrid view that combines the regular and satellite view as well as the public transit view. Data supply sources include TomTom, Automotive Navigation Data, Hexagon AB, Intermap Technologies, OpenStreetMap, and Waze. In 2015, Apple renewed its agreement with TomTom.
Apple Maps plans user’s routes. It has a turn by turn has a spoken navigation service for vehicles, pedestrians, and public transport.
Additionally, Siri is integrated into the apple map and it is currently functioning in 56 countries worldwide.
Find destinations using Smart Suggestions
If you are new in town, Apple map can be used to find interesting places easily. Just follow these steps:
- Launch the apple maps app.
- Next, tap the search bar.
- Beneath the search bar, locate Smart Suggestions ( it has different categories including Food & Drinks, Shopping, Fun, and Travel).
Note: the categories are based on your present location. There are endless categories such as Health and Transportation.
- Proceed to tap one of the categories to reveal popular options and sub-categories.
- Then, open one of the options to view its location on the Map.
- Tap Directions and Maps to get a route.
- You can change the mode of transport by tapping a corresponding icon.
- You can also tap to start turn-by-turn navigation.
View traffic And Roadworks On Apple Map
This feature can be used to sense traffic information, as well as other related issues. This a major win in the battle of google map vs apple map. because the app notifies in instances of Roadworks and road closures. Just turn on the live traffic information in the settings.
- Tap the “I” icon at the top-right corner to go to Settings.
- Then go to the Map tab and also toggled on traffic.
- Close the apple map settings. View your route, the yellow shades show moderate traffic, while red shades indicate a standstill.
Get public transport directions
The IOS 9 updates in 2015 introduced the ability to search public transport direction. Recent updates enable apple map to guide users to train stations. Although it is still limited, it works perfectly in the UK. Below is a quick user guide
- Search field to search for the destination, then tap Directions.
- Scroll down and select the Transport tab and then your preferred route.
It will provide you with multiple routes and different forms of transport.
- Finally, Go to start the journey.