Amazon Echo Dot is a voice-controlled speaker that makes use of Alexa to control smart home devices, play music, set timers, place calls, answer questions, set alarms, and many more that the device can you. With the in-built speaker of the Amazon Echo Dot, you can easily put the Amazon Echo Dot in your bedroom.
And even use it as a smart alarm clock that can as well put off your lights. Or you can make use of it in your kitchen to set timers easily and purchase so many products of Amazon just by making use of your voice.
The Amazon Echo Dot can as well be connected directly to speakers making use of Bluetooth, a 3.5 mm stereo cable, or Wi-Fi for compatible wireless speakers. So as to add voice control in the living room or the den to your home stereo system.
Amazon Echo Dot
Aside from all this mentioned earlier, you can also play music across multiple Echo devices with multi-room music support and connected speaker through cable also.
Wondering what the device can actually do in your room?
- Well, you can actually make use of the Amazon Echo Dot to switch on the lamp before going out of bed.
- You can turn up the thermostat while reading in your favorite chair,
- Or you subdue the lights from the couch to stream a movie without having to raise your finger up or even raise your voice. The Echo Dot helps you with all.
- With device, you can actually control a lot of devices at scheduled times or just with a single voice command. Like locking the door and putting off the lights while going to bed.
The Alexa app is available for both Android and iOS devices, and you can get it on the Google Play Store for Android devices and the Apple app store for iOS devices. When you finally get the Alexa app, you can use it to connect music services that you use already, just like Pandora and Spotify.
You can as well link your calendar from Google, Outloo.com, iCloud, Office365, or G Suite.
With the Alexa app, you can:
- View your conversation history
- Place calls
- Manage contacts
- Receive notifications when you get a message.
- View shopping and to-do lists.
- Control your timers, set up custom tones for your alarms and so many more.
- You can also use the Alexa App to discover third-party skills.
- View books that are available to read from your Audio libraries and Kindles.
Smart Home Devices that are compatible with the Echo Dot
Below are the smart home devices that are compatible with the Amazon echo dot:
And even more from:
- Philips Hue
- Nest and so many more.
Amazon Echo Dot Setup: How to Setup
Here is how to set up the echo dot:
- To set up the Amazon Echo Dot, you will have to plug in the Echo Dot first.
- After plugging in the Echo Dot, you will then connect to the internet using the Alexa App.
- Next is to just ask for news, weather, music, and many more that you wish to ask.
Amazon Echo Dot 2nd Generation
The Amazon Echo Dot is a smaller version of the normal Amazon Echo smart speaker. The device looks more like a hockey puck than the original cylindrical shape of the Echo and it measures a bit over three inches in diameter and is closely 1.5 inches high.
The Echo Dot has also got few buttons on the top which control volume, silence the speaker, and also call the attention of the device to listen for a command or question. Well, you do not have to lay your hands on the Dot to make use of it. It is specially designed in such a way that it mainly respond to voice commands.
What you should know about the Device 2nd Generation
Just like the initial Amazon Echo, the Amazon Echo Dot is a voice-controlled smart speaker that makes use of Alexa, an artificially intelligent personal assistant to carry out a wide range of activities. Alexa can set alarms, play games, play music, control other “smart” devices.
And even provide answers to questions just by searching on the internet for information and many more that aren’t listed here.
The Amazon Echo Dot 2nd generation enables you to play music from Apple Music, Pandora, TuneIn, Amazon Music, iHeartRadio, and SiriusXM
How do I install the Amazon Echo Dot 2nd Generation?
Here is an easy step on how to install the Amazon Echo Dot 2nd Generation:
- Download and Install the Alexa app and then sign in. You can go to Google Play Store (for Android users),
- Apple Play Store (for iPhone users) and the Amazon Appstore to download the Alexa app.
- After you must have downloaded and installed the app, you put on the Amazon Echo 2nd generation. to do that, plug in the included power adapter into the Amazon echo 2nd Generation and then into a power outlet.
- After that, the light ring on the 2nd Generation turns blue, then orange. Once the light ring turns orange, Alexa greets you.
- Next is to connect Amazon echo (2nd Generation) to a Wi-Fi network
- You can now talk to Alexa. To begin, say the “wake word” using your Echo device and then speak normally to Alexa.
- You can as well choose to connect Amazon Echo 2nd Generation to an External speaker. Connect to an external speaker with an audio cable (which is separately sold) or via Bluetooth.
Amazon Echo Dot 3rd Generation
With the device (3rd Generation), you can ask Alexa to give answers to questions, play music, check the weather, read the news, set alarms, control compatible smart home devices, and even many more. You can as well ask Alexa to lock doors, turn on, and turn off lights.
Adjust thermostats and many more with compatible connected devices.
If you really need a speaker with this feature set and amazon Alexa built-in, then the Amazon Echo Dot 3rd generation is still a great option for budgets under 3 figures. However, if you are really interested in sound quality, then you should be saving and waiting for the Echo Plus.
You can get the price of the Amazon Echo Dot and also purchase it here.