On July 26, 2010, the Library of Congress declared an exception to the 1998 Digital Millennium Copyright Act that states it is now perfectly legal for Americans to “jailbreak” and unlock their iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad devices. Jailbreaking allows users to run software applications and make device modifications without the need for Apple’s approval. No longer fearing any legal prosecution, the programming teams responsible for the original software used to jailbreak iPhone devices released a new jailbreak method.
Lets get started
Here are some important points to note before you proceed.
- This guide is meant for iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS users.
- Important note to iPhone unlockers: Please don’t use this guide if you want to preserve your iPhone’s baseband.
- Redsn0w 0.9.10b6b for Mac and Redsn0w 0.9.10b6b for Windows only supports a tethered jailbreak, which means that you need to connect your iPhone to the computer on every reboot (except iPhone 3GS with older bootrom).
- Please note that jailbreaking your iPod touch may void your warranty.
- Please do not forget to backup your iPod touch before you proceed.
- If you’ve jailbroken your iPod touch then you can use jailbreak apps such as PkgBackup from Cydia to take a backup of all the jailbreak apps and tweaks so you can reinstall them easily after successfully jailbreaking your iPod touch rather then installing them individually.
- Please ensure you are running latest version of iTunes i.e. iTunes 10.5 or later.
- Known issue: iBooks won’t work if you jailbreak your iPod touch using Redsn0w 0.9.10.b6. Dev team is working hard to fix the issue.
- You can follow these step-by-step instructions to jailbreak your iPod touch 4G or iPod touch 3G with the assumption that you’ve already updated your iPod touch to iOS 5.1 (please note Settings –> General –> About –> Version should be 5.1):
Double click the Redsn0w zip file and extract the application to the Redsn0w folder. Navigate back to the Redsn0w folder and launch the Redsn0w application.
After launching Redsn0w, click on the Jailbreak button.
Windows 7 users should run the exe in Windows XP compatibility mode (right-click on the Redsn0w exe and select Properties, then select the Compatibility tab and select Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP). Windows XP and Windows 7 users should run Redsn0w as ‘Administrator’ (right-click on the Redsn0w exe and select ‘Run as an Administrator’).
You will now be prompted plug your iPod touch to the computer and switch it OFF. Follow the instructions and click on ‘Next‘ to move to the next screen:
You will now need to put your iPod touch into the DFU mode. Redsn0w will take you through the necessary steps:
(a) Hold the Power button on iPod touch down for 3 seconds:
(b) Now simultaneously hold the Home button and keep the two buttons pressed for 10 seconds:
(c) Now release the Power button while keeping the Home button pressed until Redsn0w detects the device:
Your iPod touch should reboot now. Please remember to release the Home button.
Redsn0w will now start preparing the jailbreak data.
You will now be prompted to select the jailbreak options you would like. Make sure Cydia is selected and select ‘Next‘ to continue.
You iPod touch will be rebooted again and Redsn0w will now begin uploading the new RAM disk and kernel.
You will now be notified once the jailbreaking process is complete. Click on the ‘Finish‘ button to exit the application.
Your iPod touch will reboot once again (which could take approximately 5 minutes). After it has rebooted, your iPod touch should be successfully jailbroken. You should find Cydia jailbreak app on your iPod touch’s home screen.
Once Redsn0w has finished jailbreaking your iPod touch, you will need to boot it tethered, which means that if you need to reboot your iPod touch it will be stuck on the Apple logo. All you need to do is rerun Redsn0w and this time click on Extras and then click on Just boot from the list of options and follow the on screen instructions to reboot your iPod touch.
How to fix the White/Blank Cydia icon issue:
If you notice the white Cydia icon (which fails to launch) after successfully jailbreaking your iPod touch. Then follow these steps to fix the issue.
- Launch Redsn0w again.
- Click on Extras and then click on Just Boot from the list of options.
- You will now be prompted to plug your iPod touch to the computer and switch it off. Follow the instructions in the correct sequence and click on ‘Next‘ to move to the next screen:
- You will now need to put your iPod touch into the DFU mode. Redsn0w will take you through the necessary steps:
- Hold the Power button on iPod touch down for 3 seconds.
- Now simultaneously hold the iPod touch and keep the two buttons pressed for 10 seconds.
- Now release the Power button while keeping the Home button pressed until Redsn0w detects the device.
- Your device will reboot and you will see the Pwnage icon on your iPod touch’s screen for few minutes.
- After your iPod touch is successfully rebooted, you will see the regular Cydia icon (brown). You should now be able to launch Cydia without any issue.
Hope this helped. Please don’t forget to let us know how it goes and feel free to drop us a line in the comments if you hit any issues.